Friday 24 September 2010

Response to questionnaire:

I created a questionnaire to find out peoples favourite genre's and other things they like and dislike about film trailers, and I asked 10 different people male and female to see what their different responses were. The people I asked were around the ages of 17-25, but I did ask two people who were over the age of 25 to gain different perspectives on film trailers.

I found that when asking the favourite genre's of films most people circled romcom and horror, and only one person circled other, and said sport. I believe this is because nowadays films are quite hybrid and mix genre, but the most prominent of films released now are comedy and romcom, and recently thrillers and horrors are mixing as well, therefore making it hard to identify different genres, and I also think they also circled these as romcom and horrors are probably some of the most famous genres of trailers, and people always recognise the genres, but I then asked what genres amke the best trailers, and most said horrors and thrillers, and this is because they are designed to create suspense and excite the audience, and therefore they include lots of exciting scenes, and editing such as jump cuts, what enthrall the audience.
I also asked what was their favourite thing about romcoms and I found many people said that they enjoy the characters, as they're usually funny and accessible, and they also said that they like the stories, as they are usually quite exaggerated, and different from real life, making it like an escape for them to watch a romcom. The also said they like the clips in trailers, as they make the film seem quite interesting and funny, as they're the best clips of the film.
Also as I am making a film trailer I asked the respondents what they think is good about film trailers, and they all said that obviously they're good as they sell the film and advertises it, but it also gets the audience interested and attracts the audience, what is the main purpose of all film trailers, and will be the main purpose of my film trailer.

I also asked about the soundtrack for trailers, and asked if they feel it is important, and most said yes, and I also asked which type of music they prefer on a film trailer, and most said upbeat, and I would say this as well because we all react better to upbeat music, as it makes us feel better, whereas sombre music makes us usually feel quite sad, and therefore can sometimes turn people away from a film.
I also asked what people feel makes a good trailer, as I could incorporate there ideas into my trailer to make it more appealing, and I found that everyone said the characters are very important, and they should be accessible, but they also said a good outline of the film makes a good trailer, as that is what attracts them to the film, so therefore I am now going to make the outline of my film much clearer, as it may help appeal to a wider range of audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment